Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HB 1875 Contact your Delegate now pls.
(01-17-2017, 07:00 PM)Alex G. Wrote:
(01-17-2017, 04:23 PM)dwhipper61 Wrote: If this bill passes, the end result will be more blinds closer together to keep the floaters locked out.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this bill is to allow more floaters!
It doesnt change the distance of stationary blinds, it allows floaters to be at 250yds from a stationary.

It changes the distance from 500 to 250 so you can float or build a blind
Thanks given by:
(01-17-2017, 07:24 PM)skimerhorn Wrote:
(01-17-2017, 04:23 PM)dwhipper61 Wrote: If this bill passes, the end result will be more blinds closer together to keep the floaters locked out.

It doesnt change the distance of stationary blinds, it allows floaters to be at 250yds from a stationary.

skimerhorn... I read it as it allows a floater to be 250yds from a stationary. It doesnt allow a stationary to be any closer to another stationary than 500yds. So no... you cant build another blind 250yds away from another built(stationary) blind.
"Some people are like slinkys, sort of worthless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs."
"No Bottle, just Balls & Throttle!"
Thanks given by:
(01-17-2017, 07:31 PM)Alex G. Wrote:

skimerhorn... I read it as it allows a floater to be 250yds from a stationary. It doesnt allow a stationary to be any closer to another stationary than 500yds. So no... you cant build another blind 250yds away from another built(stationary) blind.

My mistake. Didn't read it close enough
Thanks given by: Alex G.
(01-17-2017, 07:32 PM)skimerhorn Wrote:

My mistake. Didn't read it close enough

no worries... I'm learning about all this waterfowl lingo just cause of this bill...
"Some people are like slinkys, sort of worthless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs."
"No Bottle, just Balls & Throttle!"
Thanks given by:

no, i read the bill today. it's only for floating blinds. stationary still have to be 500 apart.

what they didn't do is say no more blinds could be built or blinds had to be 500 apart. soooo hypothetically hunters could group up and buy an additional license and build a 3rd blind in the middle and never hunt it or whatever.

people will always find a way around blind laws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." -Fred Bear
Thanks given by:

It is my understanding that a riparian owner can build blinds at any distance they want.  They can build them 500 yards, or 5 yards apart if they want. 

From DGIF regulations:
Spacing of Blinds Generally

Except for adjacent landowners, licensed stationary blinds may be placed no closer than 500 yards to each other, except they may be placed closer together with the mutual consent of the licensees involved. Except for county exceptions, floating blinds may be positioned no closer than 500 yards to any licensed stationary blind, whether it is occupied or not, without consent of the owner of the neighboring blind.
Thanks given by:
(01-17-2017, 09:08 PM)dwhipper61 Wrote:

It is my understanding that a riparian owner can build blinds at any distance they want.  They can build them 500 yards, or 5 yards apart if they want. 

From DGIF regulations:
Spacing of Blinds Generally

Except for adjacent landowners, licensed stationary blinds may be placed no closer than 500 yards to each other, except they may be placed closer together with the mutual consent of the licensees involved. Except for county exceptions, floating blinds may be positioned no closer than 500 yards to any licensed stationary blind, whether it is occupied or not, without consent of the owner of the neighboring blind.

yea, you're correct and also, if you own 2 blinds spaces 500 apart, or you and a buddy, you can put on in between. as long as both parties agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." -Fred Bear
Thanks given by:

David,

I think they way it is worded is blinds still need to be 500 yards apart
Thanks given by:
I own blinds my whole life and a dummy blind is a blind that was built to stop float hunting and a ghost blind is a license on a stick to keep any fixed blinds to being built . That makes a ghost blind a friend to the floating blind .
There is no law saying how close or how many can be built . This bill is a bad idea . I will tell why tonight when I have more time .

Sad LD  Undecided
Thanks given by:
There are a lot of blind owners in this world but I am going to only talk about 2 types we have here in the blind law area of Va. . Both of these have a little age on them , the first one is a waterfowl hunter of many years and has the duck tails to entertain countless hours of birdless hunts . it's a good bet they have a bag of BS as well but the days of striping down to swim out for a dead duck or running a boat 5 miles in 9* weather to a place that held pintails last fall are behind him . Being the hunting grounds are East of I 95 and West of the bay  blinds are built  in places that will give a lee in a wind and blind tags go on to keep from being over hunted .
The second type is a waterfront land owner that might hunt but does work a job and days when he gets off and wants to sleep in he hears gun fire rolling over the water and sees a floating blind near the shoreline and calls the CPO only to find out the waterfowl is on public water and is legal to be there . While looking into what can be done the blind laws are read and the fuse is lit .
DGIF does not get funds from out state taxes , that is a great thing for us hunters on one hand but money is always needed so on the other hand they want to sell blind license to anyone b/c it will help keep the phone from ringing and help to pay a bill or pay payroll .
Either of these 2 blind owner will buy more license to keep what they have and the second one would go one more and use bait to stop the hunt , now think about it there name is on the license so if the bait is put in front of the blinds the fine is going on them for impleading the hunt but if the bait is put at the 250 yard mark if this bill makes it to law the floating blind owner will get it and the whole dang area is going to be shut down to any and all hunting until 10 days after the bait is gone , which will surly be there till the season goes out .
IMO write a bill that requires the blind owner to keep a log of hunts , require x number of hunt days during the 60 day season and require x number of birds killed with the right wing as proof of kills , for all license blinds .

Wink  LD Smile
Thanks given by: