Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shotgun on a budget
I am looking for some help. I know there is a lot of personal preference when it comes to choosing a weapon. I am interested in doing more waterfowl hunting. I would like to find a reliable 12ga that can handle 2 3/4 in to 3 1/2 in shells and be in the $500 range. I am comfortable shooting semi autos and pumps. I was leaning toward the Benelli super nova but have heard they have been having several issues that may turn me away before it’s all said and done. What suggestions do you guys have.
Thanks given by:
If you want to beat yourself up shooting 3.5s out of a pump you can go with a Remington 870 Express Super Mag.

Really you can get away with 3 inch for everything. I only shoot 3s for ducks. I have 3.5s for geese but you don’t need them.

That opens up spending a little more and getting a Remington 11-87. I got one through Sportsman’s Guide for just under $650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure you can beat the Benelli Nova given your parameters.

I have one and use it for turkey, waterfowl, and have even run slugs for deer through it. Put a limbsaver pad on it, and you can even add weight in the stock to reduce recoil if you really want to use 3.5 shells. For the money, in my opinion, it's a no brainer.
Thanks given by:
Another +1 for the nova pump.
I use it for everything and is very reliable.
Slugs for deer I've shot it out to 100 yards.
Got mine off vaguntrader for like 300. Dollars
Thanks given by:
I vote Super Nova as well. Benelli (wholly owned by Beretta) does not make junk. Those sweaty Romans build some good shotguns. Any 3.5 auto around $500 is just going to be unreliable. Maybe the 870 would fill in nicely, but God, will it blow your arm off.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the input guys. I have one other question I read that the Stoeger brand shares all the same internal components with the Benelli, is there any truth to this and any reviews on the Stoeger p3500 or m3500.
Thanks given by:
For some reason I think Deadeye has the Stoeger. Shoot him a PM in case he doesn’t see this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
(12-26-2017, 07:50 PM)Lineman Wrote: Thanks for the input guys. I have one other question I read that the Stoeger brand shares all the same internal components with the Benelli, is there any truth to this and any reviews on the Stoeger p3500 or m3500.

That is true to an extent. They are a Benelli clone but the finish on the gun is nowhere near the same. I own a couple Benellis but haven’t hunted with one in several years. I would save my money since waterfowl season only has a few weeks left anyway. Get the Stoeger or a Beretta A300 for a little over $600. The Nova is the best pump gun on the market though. Forget Remington unless it was made before 1994 and if you can find one for sale at less than $600 BUY IT!! Stick with 3”...3.5” is a waste of money and does nothing to make you more lethal at a further distance.
Thanks given by:
"Stick with 3”...3.5” is a waste of money and does nothing to make you more lethal at a further distance." Great statement James. In total agreement. I have had 2 Stoegers. Trying to get a Benelli on the cheap i suppose. To me, it was like owning a chinese made ATV compared to a Honda ATV. The Stoegers are just not made of the same material that a Benelli is made of. And the performance shows when you're in the heat of action in the field.
Thanks given by:
I'm a fan of Tristar shotguns. I mainly hunt Turkey and pheasant with it but it has never failed me.

[Image: 86c21a154110f472fc08e67feae1e04e.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks given by: