Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shell Advice - Canada Geese
I'm going to have the opportunity to hunt for Canada Geese at the end of the month. It's my first time going, and I'm looking for advice on shot size. Any pros or cons to one size over another? I'll probably stick with 3-inch shells.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
3” BB. That’s all you need to know. No need to go any bigger than that. As long as whoever you are going with knows how to hunt and call the shots then you can kill them with #3 or #4 and a good choke...and take head/ neck shots. Get some BB and stomp em. No need to spend money on fancy shot. I’ve been almost strictly using Rio Blue for the past two seasons with great success. I think I had one cripple in two years.
Thanks given by:
For just geese I would use BB. Doesn't really matter the brand. I personally like hevi steel, it's under $20 a box. And I'd recommend a modified choke. Good luck
Thanks given by:
Yep. As the guys said get you some BB and you will be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys! That was my plan but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that I should have been taking into consideration. I'll let you know how it goes. Should be fun no matter what!
Thanks given by:
put that plug in Ya gun!!!!

Thanks given by:
I tried a 30 yard crossing shot this morning with #3s and a modified choke. The lead goose tipped his wings at me and laughed as he flew away. I got a single feather off of him to show for my trouble and didnt attempt a follow up shot. Needless to say ill take yalls advice and buy a box of BB before i go back out.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(01-15-2018, 07:35 PM)TWildBill Wrote: I tried a 30 yard crossing shot this morning with #3s and a modified choke. The lead goose tipped his wings at me and laughed as he flew away. I got a single feather off of him  to show for my trouble and didnt attempt a follow up shot. Needless to say ill take yalls advice and buy a box of BB before i go back out.

Sent from my LGL52VL using 
Shoot ‘em in the head!  Bet money it doesn’t keep flying. I shokt BB  at everything except teal but only during the teal season do I carry something other than BB, so if during the regular season some teal come on in then they’re getting some BB. I don’t play with cripples.
Thanks given by:
I shoot #2s for ducks. If I am set up in a field for geese then I have BBs in the gun. Never had a duck come into goose decoys in a field but if they did they get the BBs. If I am in a creek duck hunting and a goose comes in they get a face full of #2s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Geese are tough. Anything less than BB and you aren't getting through that layer of down on the body shots with any consistency. Even with BBs on a 35+ yd shot a bunch of shot is gonna bounce off them. I cleaned a bird this year that was killed at about 45 yds. It had a couple in the head but on the body it was almost zero penetration. Just lots of bruising.

Btw... Big ducks are in the swamps pretty good right now and a few stray woodies as well. Only problem is they are flocked up good and tough to decoy but a few pairs mixed in to make it fun. Hoping the flocks bust up a bit with the warmer weather and last 2 weeks here should be a blast. :-)
Thanks given by: