Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Snakehead-New Location
http://www.whsv.com/content/news/Invasiv...64531.html
Sent from Delaware....
Thanks given by:
We have snakeheads here in Korea. They are popular with local fisherman as well as largemouth bass.
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
Turds keep moving them around. Not good at all.

I feel like the penalty if you get caught moving them and dumping them in a new body of water should be a lot higher than it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Well that takes care of the James.
They will spread thru the entire river in a few years.
They are thriving in the rapp now.  I caught a few last year and they are pretty tasty.
The Potomac is still not showing negative effects from them and they have been there for awhile now.

Mitch
Thanks given by:
They are huge problem in my home state of florida. South of the Hillsborough canal you are almost guaranteed to catch some very big ones without any difficulty. I normally chop their head off and toss them on the bank for the raccoons to eat. I have a passionate disdain for the ugly things. I've seen them take baby gators and ducks off the surface.
Thanks given by:
[Image: 1525537606359.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]
Northern snakehead from caught in Pohick Bay

Northern snakeheads were first discovered in the state nearly 15 years ago and have since been found in “nine additional bodies of water including Lake Anna, the Rappahannock River, and Lake Burke,” according to the DGIF.

Introducing the fish to a body of water constitutes as a Class 1 misdemeanor, the department said. Violators can face up to a year in prison and/or a $2,500 fine.

While anglers who catch snakeheads can keep the fish, it must be killed after capture and reported to the DGIF.

Fox news story
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
Well hopefully the Glasgow dam keeps them towards the lower James until some idgit transports again.
Folgers field tester, Quilted Northern Prostaff
Thanks given by:
Herons and other predatory birds are also a transmission vector. They will carry off a fish for miles and sometimes lose grip and drop them in other bodies of water.
Thanks given by:
You actually are NOT required to kill them if caught and released immediately. I have never caught one personally but wouldn't mind trying one. They are occasionally caught on my stretch of the lower Potomac but the salt usually keeps them away from where I am fishing. I'm fairly indifferent to them at this point though. They aren't effecting the bass (fresh water or striped) populations at all apparently and are good fun to catch and here to stay so whatever is where I'm at I guess. Blue catfish (another invader) are WAY more devastating to the rivers than Snakeheads will ever be.

Here is the VA DGIF link to them and the wording directly from the website regarding keep/kill:

"Snakeheads must be dead if in possession (contained in live well, cooler, etc.) However, the Department asks that all snakeheads be killed if possible. If an angler wishes to keep a legally caught northern snakehead, the fish must be killed to be in possession, and the angler must call the hotline or other VDGIF contact and report the angler’s last name, date of catch, location of catch, and size. Kill the fish by:

" Anglers are required to report snakeheads kept but are not required to kill them if caught and immediately released. Snakeheads must be dead if in possession (contained in live well, cooler, etc.) However, the Department asks that all snakeheads be killed if possible."

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/snakehead/
Thanks given by:
That is the dumbest thing ever. It should be mandatory to kill them if you catch them.

I get why they don’t want you to have them alive in your possession as that is how they fine people for transporting and moving them to other locations.

I say it should be required to kill them all. They are here and not going anywhere but no need to throw one back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by: