Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY down vest
Back in February(ish) I got a couple of canada goose and decided I wanted to keep and use as much of the birds as possible.  We made some great dinners from the meat and I saved all the feathers for some projects.  The first is a down vest for my daughter.

To process the feathers, I just feathered the bird as you would any bird.  I saved the down and small feathers in one plastic bag and the larger feathers in a separate bag.  Keeping them in the plastic bags kills any mites or other undesirables before use.  I couldn't find any good pointers on cleaning and processing the down so I just double bagged it in tight weave nylon bags I made for this purpose and then just washed them in the clothes washer with regular soap.  It seems to have worked out just fine for cleaning the feathers well enough to put in clothing.

So here are the first few steps of the vest... make the pattern, cut the pieces.  Sew the liner and the outside together.  Sew in the baffles.  (I didn't do this in the right order on this vest.)  Stuff.  Close up and finish the vest with bias tape and zipper.  Pockets are also a good option.  

I'll post some pics when I can spend some time to size them properly.
Thanks given by:
Looking forward to seeing your results
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a great project.
Thanks given by:
Adjusting all the pictures was going to take too long so I just did the final picture.  Screwed up by not doing the baffles before filling the vest so the baffles got a little "wonky".  Going to make another for my son so we'll fix this problem. Daughter says it's super warm.

Thanks given by:
nice job.
Thanks given by: frankp
Glad it turned out well! I bet your daughter can figure out how to personalize it or give it some flair as the kids do these days.
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by: frankp
She's not much on adding stuff like that, HeidelbergJaeger. The color and home-made look & feel will be enough to satisfy her desire to look unique.
Thanks given by: