Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ragged Island WMA
Hello,
I have a question regarding Ragged Island WMA.  The VGIF info card on it says that duck hunting is legal from "licensed blind sites."  I'm confused by that verbiage.  Does that mean that there are pre-designated sites to set up a blind?  Are there pre-built blinds that hunters must use (I seriously doubt this one but I'm asking to be thorough)?  Am I allowed to find a spot that looks good and build my blind with native vegetation there (that's what I do in TX)?  Please help me understand the nuances of VA hunting.
Thanks
Thanks given by:
I can't speak for Ragged Island specifically as to whether they have blinds or not set up but I have hunted the Dameron Marsh quota hunt. At Dameron that had 10 or so designated blind areas. You have to set up within X yds of those blinds or be inside them. The blinds were just some cloth and 2 x 4s with no vegetation or roofs. You can "improve" them but only with stuff you bring (quick grass, blind cloth). Regarding vegetation and cutting it down it is a 100% no no to cut or trim any vegetation on a WMA so that is out for sure.
Thanks given by:
(11-16-2018, 03:32 PM)bluefishnc Wrote: I can't speak for Ragged Island specifically as to whether they have blinds or not set up but I have hunted the Dameron Marsh quota hunt.  At Dameron that had 10 or so designated blind areas.  You have to set up within X yds of those blinds or be inside them.  The blinds were just some cloth and 2 x 4s with no vegetation or roofs.  You can "improve" them but only with stuff you bring (quick grass, blind cloth).  Regarding vegetation and cutting it down it is a 100% no no to cut or trim any vegetation on a WMA so that is out for sure.

Thanks for the info, especially on the native vegetation bit.  Definitely don't want to get in trouble when I finally manage to go out.
Thanks given by:
Kinda resurrecting this thread.  Did anyone go out to Ragged Island this year?  If so, how'd it go?
Thanks given by: