Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any new Elevated Blind builds?
I went looking back through older posts, and Brandon's tower blind thread got me thinking. I am going to be back in the states in early April, so hopefully after the last frost about a week later, I'll be able to start building a tower blind in my back yard. I have a pretty deep yard that has a gentle down slope, and the blind will be more like a tree house for my son than an actual hunting blind.  He'll be able to see the woods and hopefully a deer or two with the path that they have next to my house. I bought him a set of binos the other day, and I'd love for him to have a place to go that gets him up and elevated so he can feel like he's in the woods. Basically something I never had growing up.

Based on the comments and recommendations in Brandon's thread, I plan on using the elevator brackets to attach the 4x4s to the framed base of the blind. I'll use pressure treated 12 foot 4x4s, and then frame out the walls and install windows. I think for a roof I'll make a set of trusses to give me a pitched roof, and then do the blocking and bracing with 2x4s and guy wire the leg posts for added stability. I'd like to set the legs on concrete pavers and miter the ends of the legs to allow it to sit flush.

The big question I have, is that from a cost perspective, is this feasible for less than you could buy a pre fab blind? Or is this something that the process and self built satisfaction ends up being worth the cost?

Interested to hear your opinions and guidance.
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
This is what I am working on: https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/b...ting-house …… and using these windows: deerviewwindows.com/pw-slider-window/

Thanks given by: HeidelbergJaeger
I saw on Facebook that someone build a blind with wooden pallets and I thought it was a great idea and inexpensive.
Thanks given by:
This one is on pinterest

Thanks given by:
Heidelberg, how tall are you thinking you want to get the floor off the ground? If it's more than a few inches, you'll have to sink the support posts into the concrete. Other than that, your idea should be reasonable for a pretty low price. I haven't shopped for pre-fab blinds but your project shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks, not counting windows. (It wasn't clear to me if you meant you would install actual windows or just leave "windows" as openings that you can see out of the structure.)
I agree if more than 2 foot high sink it in concrete footers.
we built one 15 years ago that is still standing. We used pallet racking that we welded the connections and then 18 foot up we built floor joists with 3x4. 7 foot in front slopped to 5 1/2 in back.
Used plexi glass for windows on rope that can open and close. We have it cross supported and chained off to 2 large Oaks. Wish we sank it in a footer though still moves and actually blow over and leaned into the one oak once
Built a shooting bench and sitting bench. Sure is nice to have when weather is nasty
We had the pallet rack but built it for 200$
I think you can build cheaper than buying a pred fab. Good luck
I was thinking of getting at least 2 feet of the 4x4s into the ground, making it about 10’ off the ground at the platform. When we built these in Germany, we usually dug out the holes with post hole diggers, threw down some gravel for drainage, set a paver and placed the legs on that before filling it in with the dirt from the holes.

Cement isn’t a bad idea, should I get forms or just dig the holes and place the posts in them without? Should I set each leg first in the cement, or build the structure, get it up and then fill in the legs?

I’ll have to make sure that the wife is cool with the height; she may want it lower because my boy is 6, but I know I climbed trees higher than 10’ when I was his age.
Thanks given by:
I'd dig and the set sono tubes( https://www.sonotube.com/sonotubeconcreteforms.aspx ) in, put the post in and then pour the concrete so you can get them plumb and squared up. then give them time to set before building.
Baybeagle they have some nice windows, wish they were around when I built ours.
Thanks given by:
Dig out a leach field downhill from it and link to the blind with PVC pipe.

Then you won't even have to leave when you need to do a #1.

If you are near the house, run a garden hose up there and install a flushing urinal!
Thanks given by:
I think we can get by with the pvc pipe; the boy will just have to go back inside of the house to do any other business. I am really looking forward to building the platform, and attaching the elevators. From there, we can start wil a few different lengths of 4x4s and may start it off just 2 or 3 feet off the ground in the spring/summer so i dont have to get HOA approval. After we get the chance to talk and make sure its approved, i can get longer 4x4 and get the foundations prepped for a proper tower.
Thanks given by: