Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coyote Hunting 101
More specifically, mix of open field residential & horse farms, large tracts of timber (hardwood and pine plantation) and agro as well in case that matters... likely to be setting up in pastures and agro.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Bad2514. I was curious. I see in your pic you guys have AR guns. The guy I sometimes coyote hunt with uses a 6.5 Creedmoor and a .308 with Flir thermals to do his killing. Are those AR's pretty accurate past 200-250 yards?
Thanks given by:
(01-16-2019, 02:39 PM)Gravelneck100 Wrote: Bad2514. I was curious. I see in your pic you guys have AR guns. The guy I sometimes coyote hunt with uses a 6.5 Creedmoor and a .308 with Flir thermals to do his killing. Are those AR's pretty accurate past 200-250 yards?

Oh yea very accurate I’m shooting a 6.5 Grendel and my Best group at 300 yards was 1.5 inches. I still think the gun can shoot better than that but that is the best I have done so far. I would still recommend hunting in the early morning unless you were going to use night vision or thermal. But if you have to go out at night time make sure you don’t shine your light directly on a coyote until you are getting ready to shoot and when it comes to lights and coyote hunting at night the least amount of light you can use the better. And as far as sounds go start out quiet with some sort of rodent sound then move to a bird sound with a little more volume and then a rabbit and then try a lone howl to see if anything is close. And if you are set on coyote hunting don’t shoot the foxes when they come running in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Thanks bad, I will give that a try.
I may not be able to do early am any time soon but will be able to get out for last hour of light into dark and/or 8pm-midnightish.

When you day dont shine right on them you mean keep them lit but not right in the beam?... do i keep a constant light on and be scanning? Or minute on minute off?

Thanks for all the advice from everybody I appreciate it. I dont have a ton of time to hunt for yotes so am hoping to learn from you all vs from my own mistakes over time.

Thanks given by:
My cousin and I started a little bit of predator hunting this past year. Hadnt had a lot of luck but really hadn't put much effort into it. Going to try and ramp up our seriousness and try again this weekend. So much to learn and so many different thing people will tell you. Guess we will just take alittle from it all and see if we can have any luck.
Thanks given by:
(01-16-2019, 06:24 PM)publiclandhunter Wrote: Thanks bad, I will give that a try.
I may not be able to do early am any time soon but will be able to get out for last hour of light into dark and/or 8pm-midnightish.

When you day dont shine right on them you mean keep them lit but not right in the beam?... do i keep a constant light on and be scanning? Or minute on minute off?

Thanks for all the advice from everybody I appreciate it. I dont have a ton of time to hunt for yotes so am hoping to learn from you all vs from my own mistakes over time.

Yes just use the bottom edge of the light when you spot one and scan constantly a coyote doesn’t stop for long so be ready to shoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Finally got out last night. Plan was to set up at my deer stand. As soon as I arrived and before climbing up I heard coyote calling couple hundred yards away. I hurried into stand and fired up rabbit distress. Howling got closer but never showed up...was couple hundred yards on other side of very thick area.
I relocated about 90 minutes later but didnt hear or see anything...except for deer saw a ton of them all night... and a rabbit.

So had some excitement but no yotes. Def gonna keep trying when I can.

[Image: 54a3e46b59590e77ab57b1dfbf281d7a.jpg]

Thanks given by: