Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
keeping hunting for the next generation
I'm a suburban dad with two kids (daughter 8 and son 11) looking for a woodsy place or field near western Chesterfield county to go legally target shooting to cultivate their interest in guns and hunting.  I would pay or this privilege or put in sweat to keep up the property, and would always clean up after ourselves.  It would not need to be fancy, just a safe 100yd lane with a good backstop and accepting neighbors.

My kids already hunt squirrels with me in our backyard with PCP airguns, but there's only so far I can take that.  They are interested in firearms more broadly than that and what I'd really like to do is start taking them out with a .22 and plink like my granddad did with me.  With that love of shooting developed, I'd move to bigger firearms and hunting bigger game.  Indoor ranges are no good and even outdoor ranges are hard to find and don't quite allow that magic one-on-one passing on of the skills of shooting.

If you are a farmer or landowner in Powhatan or thereabouts and have a little spot off in some corner of a field or your woods that you wouldn't mind some kids learning to shoot at, please start a conversation with me.  We would be forever grateful.

A PM would be great!

Ed
Thanks given by:
There is a group you can access online called Outdoor Access at https://outdooraccess.com. They have an annual fee of $99, but I think they might be running a special now where you get like $20 in reservations credit. Anyways, that will unlock an abundance of private land that you can reserve on a daily or longer basis for target practice, camping, drones, fishing, hunting, etc. I have been a member two years now and it is well worth the money. The daily fees average $30 a day or so. That’s definitely cheaper than going to a range for 3 for the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(01-15-2019, 07:44 AM)That is a great suggestion, thank you.  My neighbor actually used to be registered with Outdoor Access to allow urban deer hunting in our backyards.  There are some wonderful spots all around the state, not a ton of choices within an hour of us.  I\m still hoping to secure a spot a little closer to home than OA currently has for offer, to work on the basics and then head out for the bigger stuff. Take care! sgtkersh Wrote: There is a group you can access online called Outdoor Access at https://outdooraccess.com.  They have an annual fee of $99, but I think they might be running a special now where you get like $20 in reservations credit.  Anyways, that will unlock an abundance of private land that you can reserve on a daily or longer basis for target practice, camping, drones, fishing, hunting, etc. I have been a member two years now and it is well worth the money.  The daily fees average $30 a day or so.  That’s definitely cheaper than going to a range for 3 for the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
western chesterfield isn't far from amelia wma their range is open from Sept to March 31, go check out the dgif website for details.
Thanks given by: