Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flounder in VA?
I don't often hear of anyone fishing for flounder in Virginia.

Are there places to fish them?
Thanks given by:
I did some research awhile back because I love catching flounder. What I found is that VA is really good for flounder. Eastern Shore and areas on the Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Theres great flounder fishing in va. The best is going to be around the cbbt but there are plenty of door mats to be taken around just about any structure. Small ones can be taken anywhere from the james river bridge pier to rudee inlet. Ive caught keepers in the surf too.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
As said above, the eastern shore has some very good flounder fishing, especially in early May timeframe. Any structure (bridge or tunnel) in the Hampton Roads/Lower bay area holds them. I've had good luck at the Hampton Roads bridge/tunnel last year.
Thanks given by:
cbbt?
Thanks given by:
Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Great flounder fishing? I wouldn't say that anymore at all. Ok to decent on a good day? ok. Flounder fishery in VA has been in a real decline that last 20 years. Just look at the citations issued over the last 15 years or so. In 2001 the state issue over 1,100 citations. In 2017.... 48. Yes.... 48. How the state has let a fishery that at one point could put out an average of 1,000 citation fish a year to less than 50 is just pathetic. Total mismanagement across the board. I've heard that wintertime netters around the wrecks outside the bay have decimated them but have nothing to back that up. If I had to point a finger I'd personally point it at Omega and the menhaden reduction industry. That whole mess is interconnected across pretty much every predatory fish in the bay.

(The evidence of severe decline.... http://mrc.virginia.gov/vswft/index.shtm)

The above said, I've had good days here and there over the past few years but it's always with just over legal fish in the 17 or so inch range and my PB in the last 5 years is only 20"out of 100s of flounder caught fishing Rudee, Back bay, Lynnhaven, Potomac, Hatteras etc...
Thanks given by:
(01-21-2019, 07:53 AM)bluefishnc Wrote: Great flounder fishing?  I wouldn't say that anymore at all.  Ok to decent on a good day?  ok.  Flounder fishery in VA has been in a real decline that last 20 years.  Just look at the citations issued over the last 15 years or so.  In 2001 the state issue over 1,100 citations.  In 2017.... 48.  Yes.... 48.  How the state has let a fishery that at one point could put out an average of 1,000 citation fish a year to less than 50 is just pathetic.  Total mismanagement across the board.  I've heard that wintertime netters around the wrecks outside the bay have decimated them but have nothing to back that up.  If I had to point a finger I'd personally point it at Omega and the menhaden reduction industry.  That whole mess is interconnected across pretty much every predatory fish in the bay.  

(The evidence of severe decline.... http://mrc.virginia.gov/vswft/index.shtm)

The above said, I've had good days here and there over the past few years but it's always with just over legal fish in the 17 or so inch range and my PB in the last 5 years is only 20"out of 100s of flounder caught fishing Rudee, Back bay, Lynnhaven, Potomac, Hatteras etc...

Yeah...That  ……. it has gone down hill, from the earlier years

Thanks given by:
See some conflict in published legal size limits for flounder in Virginia...
http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/regulations/fr620.shtm
4 VAC 20-620-50. Minimum size limits.

A. The minimum size for summer flounder harvested by commercial fishing gear shall be 14 inches in total length.

B. The minimum size of summer flounder harvested by recreational fishing gear, including hook and line, rod and reel, spear and gig, shall be 16.5 inches in total length, except that the minimum size of summer flounder harvested in the Potomac River tributaries shall be the same as established by the Potomac River Fisheries Commission for the mainstem Potomac River.

Whereas USA Today published 18.5 inches!
https://traveltips.usatoday.com/flounder...15947.html
Size Limits
The minimum size limit for flounder fishing is 18.5 inches long. According to the Virginia Marine Resources Commission, measure fish length from the tip of the flounder's nose to the tip of its tail in a straight line across. You may not possess any flounder smaller than the minimum size limit.
Thanks given by:
You know what sucks? That them damn commercial guys use their nets and kill a fishery. They shouldn’t be able to keep fish I have to throw back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by: