Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flounder in VA?
From what I'm reading in NJ, the strict regulations of 18 inch limit (three fish) for Summer Flounder (Fluke) and 12 inch limit (two fish) for Winter flounder seems to be resulting in more frequent bigger fish caught, but still lots of throwbacks.

I think the ratio varies from 1 keeper to every four, or one keeper for every nine caught. I think previous years when the winter flounder limit was 19 inches, the throwback ratio was higher, like 1 in 22.

I know there's a lot of grumbling about drag netters being the real problem, while recreational fisherman get the shaft. But the regs in NJ seem to be helping the fishery get stronger.
Thanks given by:
(07-24-2019, 08:21 AM)BillHoo Wrote: From what I'm reading in NJ, the strict regulations of 18 inch limit (three fish) for Summer Flounder (Fluke) and 12 inch limit (two fish) for Winter flounder seems to be resulting in more frequent bigger fish caught, but still lots of throwbacks.  

I think the ratio varies from 1 keeper to every four, or one keeper for every nine caught.  I think previous years when the winter flounder limit was 19 inches, the throwback ratio was higher, like 1 in 22.

I know there's a lot of grumbling about drag netters being the real problem, while recreational fisherman get the shaft.  But the regs in NJ seem to be helping the fishery get stronger.

BillHoo

I grew up fishing the waters around South Jersey.  We would fish the backwater around Sea Isle City, in the Atlantic outside the Townsends Inlet, Ludlam Bay, Strathmere inlet, the Cape May Canal and parts of the Delaware Bay.  Many years ago when I was a kid we would come in with a bunch of fish.  It really started going down hill in the early 90s and got worse as time went on.  It got to the point the last times I was really up there fishing in the late 90s early 2000s that we would only come in with one or two keepers and didn't even catch a whole lot of throwbacks.  The netters did a number on the fishing up there. 

Jersey and Delaware had an interesting thing going on for a long time, and it still might be.  If you took your boat our of Delaware and I came out of Jersey the size limit was different.  Back then Delaware had a size limit that was like an inch longer or maybe 1.5 inches longer.  So I could catch a fish and throw it in my cooler and if you caught one the same size you threw it back and we could be fishing 20 yards apart.  It just depended on where you launched your boat.
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
I was in the OBX last week and found a mess of flounder the last day we were down.  Got one on hook and line and the rest via wade gigging.  22, 19, 19, 15.  Missed on gigging a 27 or so incher when I short armed him.  Easily could have gigged a dozen plus keepers if the limit would have let me.  They were all over but I guess I was just in the right spot because the recreational season closes tomorrow (09/05/19) for the next year or so down there I think but comms can still fish for them on a limited basis.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks given by:
nice catch of "flatties" .......

Thanks given by:
Nice!

What kind of hook and line rig were you using?

In NJ, wade gigging is illegal unless your entire body is immersed in water. Then, it is considered legal spear-fishing.
Thanks given by:
Skinner rig for the hook and line fish. (Google John Skinner if you have never heard of him). I've speared a few in the OBX snorkeling but that was back in the 90s. That is a sport I could really get into I think if I lived in Florida or somewhere similar. Gigging is fun too though. I love the fact you can be very selective on the fish you take and the "hunting" aspect of it.
Thanks given by:
Yes.  

I'm John Skinner and this video supports chapter 12 of my book ……

Love his underwater videos of flounder and fluke stalking his bucktails when he drifts the shallow flats.

So here in Virginia, they only regulate the Summer Flounder (Fluke) at 16.5 inches with a limit of 4 per person:
https://webapps.mrc.virginia.gov/public/...ay2019.pdf

Nothing said about Winter flounder (right handed fish), or windowpanes, or Four Spot Flounder... so are they a free for all?
Thanks given by: