Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wildcat loads
Anyone been a fan of the wildcat calibers? Enterprising folks in the 50s and 60s designed and marketed some superfast loads that were also very accurate.

I think that the ones falling in the 6mm range were the most successful, and a couple of records were set with them.
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
.22-250 is a favorite umongst California predator hunters. Half the hunters in my club use it.
Thanks given by:
Don /peternap, who is sadly no longer with us was the guy for these questions, i know he was playing with the 375jdj cartridge where he was fire forming the brass
Thanks given by:
Sad how much knowledge we will miss out on from Peternap.

I’ve heard good things about .22-250, .218 bee, and .224
Thanks given by:
I like wildcats. I have a 6.5x55mm Ackley Improved, .219 Donaldson Wasp, and a .257 JDJ. I have a chamber reamer to build a .250 Savage Ackley Improved, when I get around to it.
Thanks given by:
are many of these calibers readily available commercially or are they most often hand loaded?
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2019, 05:11 AM)HeidelbergJaeger Wrote: are many of these calibers readily available commercially or are they most often hand loaded?

Once a cartridge has been picked up for production, it's no longer a wildcat. Many great cartridges started as wildcats and then became production, SAAMI cartridges, like the .22-250 wildcat from the .250 Savage, .25-06, 7mm-08, .338 Federal, etc.
Thanks given by:
That's only reason I'm against them. Too hard (costly and time) to mess with them. Better off to get something widely available. Not for everyone, but for me that is.

I do want to build me a .22-250 sometime...........
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2019, 03:37 PM)redneckgames Wrote: That's only reason I'm against them.  Too hard (costly and time) to mess with them.  Better off to get something widely available.  Not for everyone, but for me that is.

I do want to build me a .22-250 sometime...........

Unless you want a fast twist .22-250 that would require handloading, the .22-250 hasn't been a wildcat since 1965. A buddy bought one of the 1:8" twist Tikka T3s that Cabela's or somebody had done. Shooting heavy bullets in a .22-250 would really make it more useful to me, but it's going to be a handloading-only prospect at that point. I plan to rebarrel my .22-250 Ruger #1 as a .250 Savage Ackley Improved.
Thanks given by: