Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No lead slugs for deer hunting in special hunts in NOVA
A friend of mine told me about a park hunt in NOVA.  I looked into it and they are having a couple Archery dates in October, a couple shotgun dates in December and then a couple more archery dates in the late season.  There isn't any information on how you send in your qualification cards though.  I am trying to find that information.  I did get the qualification card from the guy.  At the bottom is says

"NOTE: Lead ammunition will begin to be phased out of many of the managed deer hunts in Northern Virginia in 2018
It is highly recommended that each hunter qualify with non toxic ammunition."

The guy said in the email....."Shotguns qualifications must be done with NON-LEAD slugs. Hunting with shotgun, if selected is with NON-LEAD slugs."

I wonder if this is a window into what will happen here soon across the state.
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
You know it is. Copper or bismuth or gilded metal is what will have to replace lead. Its been done in Germany for years.
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
I shoot Barnes slugs anyway so that doesn't affect me, small or buck shot it is ridiculous but totally foreseeable as an infringement on our ability to purchase economical ammunition under the guise of environmental protection, see CA
Thanks given by:
Well I shoot Barnes slugs too now that Remington is making them.

Thanks given by:
I think Fairfax qualification dates are all closed. They ran back in June, maybe july?

I believe Loudoun is doing the same this year as well...which is a pain for a smooth bore gun Sad

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
It depends on what Hunt. Yes I am sure the Fairfax County Park archery hunting qualifications are done. I think they draw for all that in early August and you have to have qualifications already done.

This is another big park they are having 3 days of Archery in October, 3 days of shotgun in December and 3 more days of archery and I think those last 3 days are in February. The days are all Fridays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks given by:
Its my understanding that the qualification just needs to be done prior to the hunt, so perhaps you just bring the signed qual card with you to orientation.  The website does list that: "Coming Soon: Firearm Qualification Standards and Participating Range List" so perhaps when that is posted it will give more information.  I assume Clark Brothers is one of the most convenient locations to NOVA to go to qualify. Print the card and take it there, or wait until the lottery results and I am sure they will have the participating ranges listed.  

As for the non-lead, its not surprising.  A lot of refuge, federal land and even local government managed hunts across the country are going that way even in states like Wyoming.
Thanks given by: