Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solo ladder stand hanging
I've got an 18 foot double I'm gonna try (key word try) to safely hang tomorrow by myself. I've done single 15 footers before with not much problem but the platform on a double 18 makes it a challenge. My plan is to use the bottom two ladder sections to climb up 12 to 15 feet and then tie a rope/loop off. Then attach a block and tackle pulley to the loop, assemble the stand fully and position it at the base of the tree, drive a spike in the ground and tie off the bottom of the stand, then run the block and tackle line to the top of the 15 or so foot rung on the stand and start pulling it up to vertical. Tie off once up secure base lines and a couple lateral support lines and then climb up and secure the top.

Anyone else ever try anything similar or have tips? I gotta get this done tomorrow as I probably won't hit the property again until I have a bow in my hand so waiting for help unfortunately isn't an option.
Thanks given by:
I've put up the double solo. Its a chore to be sure, but I did not use a pulley or the like, just good ol' He-Man muscles. Depending on if you have a clear area or if you are in brush, or if the tree is covered in branches/ivy or if it is smooth makes a difference. On a smooth unobstructed tree - big Sycamore - I was able to lean the double against the bottom of the tree and then essentially slide it up. With low growth on the tree I assembled the stand, anchored the bottom and then walked it up and over to lean on the tree. Both had challenges. If you have a block and tackle though you might as well use it and your plan sounds fine.
Thanks given by:
I always put the bottom of the ladder against the tree and then use it to hold the bottom and walk the stands up.  It is tough with a double with all that weight.  The block and tackle isn't a bad idea at all.  Another option that would work is lay the stand down with the bottom of the ladder against the tree and tie a rope to the top.  Walk behind the tree it is going on and pull it up that way.  You can then wrap the rope around the tree to hold it till you can pull the bottom out and get the angle set.

Once I get the stand up against the tree where I want it I put the stabilizer bar on and I run a strap around the tree from the ladder where the stabilizer bar is.  That has always held the stand stable enough for me to climb up and put 2 straps at the top.  I leave the one that is attached to the ladder at the stabilizer bar there also.

Good luck
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys. Will take a picture or two of the block and tackle and let you know how it goes. I have done the walk up method on 18 foot singles but the double I have is so top heavy I am pretty sure I could never walk it without a big risk of hurting myself or having it come off the side.

I've tried the rope from behind method Thummy but my issue doing that has always been strength/leverage at that angle. I've never been able to get it up to the tip point doing that because it levels out on the pull when I get it a couple feet off the ground. Hoping the high anchor point with the block and tackle solves that and lets me raised it with minimal effort. Will let you all know. Most of us have a block and tackle for hanging deer I'd imagine so maybe I'm onto something. I don't see where anyone has tried it on Youtube.
Thanks given by: Luv2fish
Update. The block and tackle worked great. I had to extend the end some with an extra rope as the block and tack line wouldn't reach to the top of the ladder as it laid on the ground but other than that it was perfect. I got the ladder up to vertical and then eased it on the tree and proceeded business as usual. Added maybe 10 minutes to the process but so much easier solo (and safer). Wasted though.... 90+ degrees and humid as heck don't match up well with lugging a double 1/2 a mile back into the woods.
Thanks given by:
Glad you got it up. I was messing around looking at stands on Sportsman Guide and they actually have two cranks for putting up them stands. One is only like $45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Yes. I saw that too Thummy but it was on Tuesday when I saw it and I was already committed to trying to hang the stand on Wednesday. I think it would be worth the 45 though. I can make the block work and it adds only 10 minutes or so but the hand crank does look a little easier and you don't need to hang it 10 feet up the tree like I did with the block. That all said if I only had the block I wouldn't hesitate to use it again even if I had another guy.
Thanks given by:
I watched a video on the crank system. It seemed to work great BUT there were three guys (1 on the crank and two lifting the ladder). Heck, if I have 3 guys I certainly don’t need a crank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by: