Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas Public Draw Youth Hunt
Excited to be taking my son on his first big hunting trip! Heading to Texas in January to Hunt the Powderhorn Ranch, a new State WMA, for Sambar Deer, Axis Deer, Whitetail Deer, and Pigs.  If you have never looked into it, Texas has an interesting draw system to manage pressure and opportunity on public lands.  Youth hunts are free to apply for.  This will be a first trip to Texas for us so we will see how it goes.  To pad the success rate a little for us we will also do a little Thermal Hog Hunting before we check in for the public land hunt.  Will definitely update the post with the story and pictures.

Thanks given by:
cool. good luck.
Thanks given by:
Congrats! that sounds like its going to be a blast for you and your boy. Would love to do something like this with my boy, how much is all the licenses and everything going to cost you for something like this? Just seeing that way i can start to prepare for something like this one day.
Thanks given by:
(10-18-2019, 08:50 PM)Csniffen08 Wrote: Congrats! that sounds like its going to be a blast for you and your boy. Would love to do something like this with my boy, how much is all the licenses and everything going to cost you for something like this? Just seeing that way i can start to prepare for something like this one day.

So the public land youth hunt is actually super cheap. The application is free for youth hunts. (https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/pub...t_drawing/) Draw odds vary but there are some highly successful hunts that should not be hard to draw.  The draw catalog lists the success rate for hunters in the previous year and also the number of applicants. 

He will only need to buy a $7 youth hunting license. As his adult supervisor I will need a license, but since I am not hunting anything it can be the minimum $48, five-day license. The Thermal Hog hunt we are doing is going to be $250 per person and no license is required for hogs. Looks like we will grab an AirBnB for about $215 total.  $450 for gas and $100 for food.

Total cost for the two of us is about $1,300. Hopeful that this hunt will be fruitful and get us a handful of pigs and a couple deer of some species - Sambar is the #1 target but Whitetail and Axis are also possible.
Thanks given by:
(10-21-2019, 07:29 AM)jmveverka Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 08:50 PM)Csniffen08 Wrote: Congrats! that sounds like its going to be a blast for you and your boy. Would love to do something like this with my boy, how much is all the licenses and everything going to cost you for something like this? Just seeing that way i can start to prepare for something like this one day.

So the public land youth hunt is actually super cheap. The application is free for youth hunts. (https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/pub...t_drawing/) Draw odds vary but there are some highly successful hunts that should not be hard to draw.  The draw catalog lists the success rate for hunters in the previous year and also the number of applicants. 

He will only need to buy a $7 youth hunting license. As his adult supervisor I will need a license, but since I am not hunting anything it can be the minimum $48, five-day license. The Thermal Hog hunt we are doing is going to be $250 per person and no license is required for hogs. Looks like we will grab an AirBnB for about $215 total.  $450 for gas and $100 for food.

Total cost for the two of us is about $1,300. Hopeful that this hunt will be fruitful and get us a handful of pigs and a couple deer of some species - Sambar is the #1 target but Whitetail and Axis are also possible.

That's awesome. I hope you guys get alot of meat for y'all.  Thanks for all the info as well.
Thanks given by:
Success!

Thanks given by:
Man, that’s awesome. Congratulations.
Thanks given by:
That is awesome. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by: