Poll: What barrel to you prefer for waterfowl hunting?
Use what I feel comfortable with, regardless of length
Short barrel with weight is convenient
26 inch works for me
28 inch barrel is better
30 inch barrel is the way to go
[Show Results]
This poll will close on: 03-04-2047

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrel Length 26, 28 or 30?
How do folks feel about barrel length for waterfowl?

I got a Police 870 magnum with 18.5 inch barrel that I got to convert to a duck hunting gun (My wingmaster is only chambered for 2 3/4).

I'm considering getting a 28 or 3 inch barrel chambered for 3 inch.

The police magnum currently has an extended mag tube which I hear, helps with swing and compensates for the shorter barrel.  I'm going to put a block in the tube to restrict to 2 shells.  Maybe put a weight in there too.

So I could just keep the short barrel and add weight.  Or I can buy a 26, 28, or 30 inch barrel.

What are thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Thanks given by:
That receiver should be a 3 inch. If it is get a 28 inch barrel that can handle 3 inch shells. Don’t get a barrel that can handle 3.5 inch shells.

If you plan to use it for any bird hunting that 18.5 inch barrel is worthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
(10-18-2019, 10:55 AM)Thummy Wrote: That receiver should be a 3 inch. If it is get a 28 inch barrel that can handle 3 inch shells. Don’t get a barrel that can handle 3.5 inch shells.

If you plan to use it for any bird hunting that 18.5 inch barrel is worthless.

Sooner or later someone's going to try goose hunting with a Remington 870 - TAC-14!

Is there a minimum barrel length for waterfowl?  (Just thinking out loud, not even looking it up!)
Thanks given by:
I don’t think there is. Sure someone might try it but it will make that person look like an idiot to everyone around.

Thanks given by:
With the way the new wads are designed in modern shotgun shells, all three of those barrels will perform nearly the exact same. It will be so similar you won't be able to notice any measurable difference. Why not just use the Wingmaster?  I have killed hundreds and I do mean hundreds, of ducks and geese with 2-3/4" shells.  I was shooting snowgeese last spring with 2-3/4" cause I had a bunch lying around and didnt want to buy more stuff (wife told me not to lol).  My father and grandfather killed thousands of ducks and geese with 2-3/4" shells, even after the lead ban came into effect.
Thanks given by:
To clarify....I am sure when James says all three of those will work he means the 26,28 and 30 inch barrels.

Thanks given by:
(10-20-2019, 07:18 AM)JamesM Wrote: With the way the new wads are designed in modern shotgun shells, all three of those barrels will perform nearly the exact same. It will be so similar you won't be able to notice any measurable difference. Why not just use the Wingmaster?  I have killed hundreds and I do mean hundreds, of ducks and geese with 2-3/4" shells.  I was shooting snowgeese last spring with 2-3/4" cause I had a bunch lying around and didnt want to buy more stuff (wife told me not to lol).  My father and grandfather killed thousands of ducks and geese with 2-3/4" shells, even after the lead ban came into effect.

I just figured I could get a bit more reach with three inch shells.

Anyway, I have a 28 inch barrel with three winchokes coming in a week or so.
Thanks given by:
(10-21-2019, 07:22 AM)BillHoo Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 07:18 AM)JamesM Wrote: With the way the new wads are designed in modern shotgun shells, all three of those barrels will perform nearly the exact same. It will be so similar you won't be able to notice any measurable difference. Why not just use the Wingmaster?  I have killed hundreds and I do mean hundreds, of ducks and geese with 2-3/4" shells.  I was shooting snowgeese last spring with 2-3/4" cause I had a bunch lying around and didnt want to buy more stuff (wife told me not to lol).  My father and grandfather killed thousands of ducks and geese with 2-3/4" shells, even after the lead ban came into effect.

I just figured I could get a bit more reach with three inch shells.

Anyway, I have a 28 inch barrel with three winchokes coming in a week or so.

Totally incorrect. You have to think about kinetic energy and momentum. A heavier object will lose momentum (and kinetic energy) slower over a given distance, than a lighter object will.  The velocity of the shell makes little no difference in downrange performance, beyond 40 yards. What you need to look for is the heaviest shot you can find and I do not mean the payload weight of the shell.  You need to look at the density of the shot itself. Lead is 10g/cc, the heaviest steel alloy shot is about 8.5 g/cc and regardless of how much steel shot you pack into a 3-1/2" shell, it will not be more effective than a 2-3/4" lead payload....because it is not as dense and loses momentum faster.  If you really want go get into dense shot and true effectiveness, you need to get into TSS or Tungsten Super Shot which is 19g/cc.  You better have DEEEEP pockets if you're going to shoot it and nobody makes a waterfowl load of pure TSS because it is too expensive. I have 3 pure TSS shells that I am saving for the right occassion so I snatch the soul out of a high flier just to test it.  

I normally shoot 2-3/4" or 3" BB at everything except teal.  It is about waiting for the right shot to present itself.  Let the birds work until they are down in the decoys, then shoot them in the face.
Thanks given by:
Thanks James!

I never checked the difference between Steel and Tungston. ...and the difference seems vast.
Thanks given by:
(01-15-2020, 12:32 PM)BillHoo Wrote: Thanks James!

I never checked the difference between Steel and Tungston.  ...and the difference seems vast.

TSS is more than twice the density of the heaviest steel alloy on the market. The bismuth alloys that are being used by BOSS and Kent are a pretty reasonable compromise but even BOSS is only 50% bismuth alloy and 50% steel, the same with Hevi-shot but I'm not sure about Hevi-bismuth as I have not bothered to look into it much.  Apex is new to the market within the past few years but I also don't know much about it. Steel kills just as good anything inside 30 yards and is more than capable of breaking a wing at 40 yards or possibly a little further.  15 years ago a 28" barrel was necessary for accuracy but with the advancements in was design, choke design and shell manufacturing , there is no noticeable difference between 26", 28" or 30" barrels.
Thanks given by: