Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I lost one :(
Shot him Wednesday morning.. shot felt good.. front end buckled .. kicked rear legs .. ran off like a dead deer to me, holding the shoulder I shot through stiff legged.. it was 100 yds broadside.    Mature looking 8 point I think, not huge but at least 3.5 

Gave him 45 minutes before taking the trail.. Not much blood .. found a wound bed 100 yds out ..blood was dark like maybe I hit him too forward or low.  I guess I pushed him out of it.  IDK.. Can't wrap my head around it.  No more blood after the wound bed.. I guess it clotted up. But It also looked like he was bleeding out of his mouth/nose while laying in that bed. There was some sparse blood out in front of it that was sprayed like he was coughing.

I know you guys know the feeling if you have hunted long enough.. I still hate it.. tried to find a tacking Dog to no avail.  grid searched for 4 hours yesterday with two other people.. will go back again mid day Saturday to look again .. mostly for Vultures/Crows at this point.

Had gun camera rolling, not great video.. but shot still looks good to me.. just lamenting with some like minded folks.. I tell you times like this makes me want to quit deer hunting altogether and just stick to what I'm good at.. Turkey Hunting.. I should have never shot him.. he was a borderline pass to me anyway, but my adrenaline got the best of me with a quick decision.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bseM4gTwtOQ
Take me home county roads
Thanks given by:
what bullet are you shooting, please dont say power belts?
Thanks given by:
I shoot a Smokeless Conversion.. It's an Encore with a Bergara Barell in .45 Cal. I shoot the Barnes Expander bullets and Harvester Sabots.
Take me home county roads
Thanks given by:
that stinks wvboy, but happens to us all. brush yourself off and get back after them.
Thanks given by:
Man that stinks. Definitely got him in that shoulder towards the front or low and just behind the leg based on his reaction and how he kind of folded toward the camera. Only explanation I could come up with for not recovering him. Very weird as he seemed to be slightly facing toward you and you the bullet should have been headed towards the kill zone just about anywhere you caught him.

Hoping you find him to at least close the story. Like you said... we've all been there if you hunt long enough. I have two that still haunt me about every time I think about hunting.
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2019, 10:22 AM)wvboy Wrote: I shoot a Smokeless Conversion.. It's an Encore with a Bergara Barell in .45 Cal.  I shoot the Barnes Expander bullets and Harvester Sabots.

nope thats a combo that should leave you a good blood trail, i helped my buddy track his deer sunday and we found it after a reasonably short track but it was tracking blood specks instead of streams, he still shoots power belts and poked a hole right through the lungs but compared to a barnes blood trail it was a pain in the ass. that was the reason behind my question. sorry but it happens sometimes and sucks everytime it does.
Thanks given by:
Sorry WV boy, it happens to everyone. I'm thinking maybe you hit him forward in the brisket.
Thanks given by:
That stinks man, hope you get the next one
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by: