Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALFALFA
Did all the necessary things to have a good soil bed for my plot. Soil sample in February. Added just enough fertilizer to max out my goal. PH was perfect. No need to add Boran until next year.  
Sprayed down my field to kill off any vegetation (20 gal. per acre at a mix of 1.75 oz. per gallon), early March. Tilled my 2 acre plot in late March. Ran the cultapacker across the plot first. Hooked up the HERD GT-77 broadcast spreader. Put down Round Up Ready Alfalfa, @ 25 lbs. per acre. Ran the cultapacker back across the field to give good seed soil contact. 
7 days later, I was showing some sprouts. I am now in day 19, and the field is getting a green tint to it. These showers are spot on. Not too much rain, and not a flooding rain. Forecast showing on and off rain all this week. With proper cutting, and spraying, this plot should last me 7 years.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks given by:
Nice work!!!!
Hard labor but will be well worth it
Thanks given by:
Cool! What's RU alfalfa seed cost? I don't do alfalfa. Don't have the right land for it. But, I'm always tempted when I see a purty field like yours! You are growing it for more than just a food plot, right?
Thanks given by:
nice work!
Zebco Pro-Staff rolling
Thanks given by:
(04-18-2020, 11:35 AM)norrydan Wrote: Cool!  What's RU alfalfa seed cost?  I don't do alfalfa.  Don't have the right land for it. But, I'm always tempted when I see a purty field like yours! You are growing it for more than just a food plot, right?

RR Alfalfa is around $480 per 50 lb. (includes RR fee) ...... and yes, this is 100% for deer, and turkeys.

Thanks given by:
Bay, how would alfalfa do in a sandy soil situation. I'm in K&Q on a tidal creek off the Mattaponi close to West Point. I've tried clover with very poor success. Chicory did the best of everything I've tried. I need another soil test at this point but the clover was done by the book. Or any suggestion for sandy soil.
Glenn
Thanks given by:
(04-18-2020, 08:32 PM)GNC1948 Wrote: Bay, how would alfalfa do in a sandy soil situation. I'm in K&Q on a tidal creek off the Mattaponi close to West Point. I've tried clover with very poor success. Chicory did the best of everything I've tried. I need another soil test at this point but the clover was done by the book. Or any suggestion for sandy soil.
Glenn
Sandy soil is very hard to work with. I have a farm that I lease, that is on the Mattaponi, and very sandy. Clover and Alfalfa have the same soil criteria, so I am sure you could mark that off the list. 
I have planted "Tyrone" soybeans on sandy soil, and did real well. If you have a heavy deer population, they may eat them as soon as they sprout. Sunflowers do good in sandy soil too.

Thanks given by:
That's what I was afraid of. I was at your place some years ago with GT350 (Joe) picking up a few tree stands. You have a Mecca. Very nice farm.

I may go back to the  Chickory in the fall and hope for the best. Although the turkey just like bugging in a weedy field back in the woods.

Thanks
Glenn
Thanks given by:
(04-20-2020, 10:59 AM)GNC1948 Wrote: That's what I was afraid of. I was at your place some years ago with GT350 (Joe) picking up a few tree stands. You have a Mecca. Very nice farm.

I may go back to the  Chickory in the fall and hope for the best. Although the turkey just like bugging in a weedy field back in the woods.

Thanks
Glenn

glenn, the year i had grain sorghum over at lacy farm it was absolutely full of grass hoppers so im guessing the turkeys liked it for that regardless of the grain, and sorghum is pretty forgiving for soil conditions as it is made for crappy soils in its native habitat.
Thanks given by: