Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY backpack
I've been thinking of a DIY backpack for hunting. Something that will let me pack my bow or a rifle (or two) some dressing supplies and first aid kit, maybe a spare jacket etc, and possibly some sort of attachment to use as a game hauling yoke.

What are the features you would want in a custom pack?
Thanks given by:
Large interior pocket with waterproof liner, detachable accessory packs (like MOLLE) as well as nice shoulder straps. Simple enough to carry everything but have the possibility to customize based on scenario I am hunting.
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by: frankp
-a grab handle on the top, which can also be used to tie a rope to to pull it up to the tree stand.
-i second that waterproof cargo area so you can stow your toilet paper and cellphone out of the rain.
-a tie strap of some sort that will allow you to attach the bag to the tree or your tree stand.
-zippers that don't go all the way to the bottom of the bag so things won't fall out when trying to open the bag in the stand.
-a strip blaze orange material that you can pull out when you want to display some blaze orange.
-of course, camouflaged!
Zebco Pro-Staff rolling
Thanks given by: frankp
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just getting started with the features I want so I'll put some designs up and maybe some progress pics as I get this thing made.

Here's a list of my features so far:

Waterproof
Neoprene and parachord shoulder straps
top handle (good idea Carcass)
Detachable/stowable bow/rifle sling
Hydration bladder pocket
15-20L main pocket
smaller gear pocket that can open as a "shelf"
Hip belt pockets
long zipper for easy access
Blaze orange and/or camo
Quiver attachment of some kind or other
Daisy chains for external accessory/pocket attachment
Thanks given by:
Throw in a D ring/ Carabiner or two
Thanks given by:
The daisy chains should address the d-ring/carabiner concern but that's a good suggestion.

I have made a couple of other "features" (I'm adding a removable cutting board as a "shelf" stiffener) and I got started creating the pattern last night. The material I have on hand is a natural color "duck cloth" that I will then dye once I've got everything sewn together. I'll try and put some pictures up as I get a little further along in the assembly process.
Thanks given by:
Looking forward to seeing your creation
Thanks given by:
Had back surgery a week ago so I took some time away from this project but I got back to it last night. I made some minor changes and added a full 2" webbing yoke into the waistbelt/shoulder straps so I can use it as a dragging harness if/when I ever actually shoot anything somewhat heavy. As of now the "small pocket" is sewn up but still needs some sort of liner, and the yoke and back have been stitched together. Just the side panels left and the bag will be a whole entity.

I took some time while I was "down" to do the grab/lift handle in an "alternating" cobra weave paracord of black and tan so that it breaks up the lines a little bit. The paracord on the shoulder straps will be integrated into the load lifter/haul yoke attachment and will be removable in the event the paracord is needed for an emergency. I decided not to make the paracord the primary shoulder strap so it will serve double duty now.

Hopefully I'll get some more done tonight and get some pics up, if anyone is interested.
Thanks given by:
Updates with a few pics (if they load properly).  I've decided to add a couple of pockets to the waist belt and grabbed some shell elastic from an old hunting vest that has way more shell slots than I'm likely to ever use.  So, the pockets will have 4 shell slots each (internal) and be zippered to allow them to hold other small items like calls or keys or range finder or whatever.  Hopefully I'll finish those up tomorrow and get some pics after that.  

For now some pics of the yoke system, the internal front (water bladder pocket) and shoulder strap setup, and a pic of the small pocket and bow/rifle attachment straps (pre-dye). The shoulder straps picture shows the paracord (~40 feet of paracord on each shoulder strap) and the haul yoke attachments.  

Overall, it's coming along nicely.  Unfortunately my "safety orange" dye job as the basis for an orange camo came out looking more like "burnt orange fall foliage" than "safety orange".  Either way, it will be something different than the standard fare and that's what I'm going for with this project.  

As usual, if I didn't already have all the materials on hand I wouldn't be saving any money over just buying one of these but this one has some custom features I didn't find on any of the ones I looked at in stores or online.

[Image: JDkY]
[Image: JDkE]
[Image: JDkS]
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2015, 09:25 PM)frankp Wrote: Updates with a few pics (if they load properly).  I've decided to add a couple of pockets to the waist belt and grabbed some shell elastic from an old hunting vest that has way more shell slots than I'm likely to ever use.  So, the pockets will have 4 shell slots each (internal) and be zippered to allow them to hold other small items like calls or keys or range finder or whatever.  Hopefully I'll finish those up tomorrow and get some pics after that.  

For now some pics of the yoke system, the internal front (water bladder pocket) and shoulder strap setup, and a pic of the small pocket and bow/rifle attachment straps (pre-dye). The shoulder straps picture shows the paracord (~40 feet of paracord on each shoulder strap) and the haul yoke attachments.  

Overall, it's coming along nicely.  Unfortunately my "safety orange" dye job as the basis for an orange camo came out looking more like "burnt orange fall foliage" than "safety orange".  Either way, it will be something different than the standard fare and that's what I'm going for with this project.  

As usual, if I didn't already have all the materials on hand I wouldn't be saving any money over just buying one of these but this one has some custom features I didn't find on any of the ones I looked at in stores or online.

[Image: JDkY]
[Image: JDkE]
[Image: JDkS]

if you dont like the orange dye job, i think the orange could simply be a removable piece or a piece attached inside that could be flipped out of the main pocket when either walking or on stand, and not necessarily the actual color of the pack.
Thanks given by: